Table of Contents
- Is Natural Argan Oil Good for Your Skins?
- Why Use Organic Argan Oil?
- Best Organic Hand Soap
- The 12 Best Organic Hair Gel Brands
- Is Natural Argan Oil the Same as Organic Argan Oil?
- How to Use Your Argan Oil
- What are the Benefits of the Natural Argan Oil on Skin and Hair?
- Picking the Best Organic Argan Oil Brand
- The 12 Best Organic Argan Oil Brands
- #1 PURA D'OR Organic Argan Oil
- #2 VoilaVe Pure Organic Argan Oil
- #3 Kate Blanc Cosmetics Moroccan Argan Oil
- #4 Foxbrim Naturals Pure Organic Argan Oil
- #5 Poppy Austin Pure Argan Oil
- #6 Eve Hansen Pure Moroccan Argan Oil
- #7 Majestic Pure Moroccan Argan Oil
- #8 Cliganic 100-Percent Pure Organic Argan Oil
- #9 US Organic USDA Certified Moroccan Argan Oil
- #10 Mother Nature Organic Pure Moroccan Organic Argan Oil
- #11 Orchid and Temple USDA Certified Pure Organic Argan Oil
- #12 Mountain Top Unrefined Organic Argan Oil
- Final Thoughts
Extracted from the kernels of Argania Spinosa (commonly known as the argan tree), argan oil has gained so much popularity in the past few years as a face treatment oil. Also known as Moroccan oil, argan oil is rich in antioxidants and fatty acids, two nutrients that make it ideal as a skincare anti-aging product.
The product has earned mentions in many beauty blogs, thanks to its almost miraculous benefits to the skin. Some argan oils might claim to be organic while all they have is a label. If you have not bought argan oil before, I created this guide to help you pick the best organic argan oil for your skin, hair, and nails.
Is Natural Argan Oil Good for Your Skins?
Most people fear that argan oil might clog their pores and later cause breakouts. However, argan falls in the middle of the thickness spectrum. It is not heavy, and it is not too light, which makes it ideal for all skin types.
Besides its great consistency, argan oil contains different phytochemicals, including omega fatty acids, linoleic acids, vitamin E, and many others which moisturize your skin, soften dry patches, and reduce breakouts.
Unlike olive oil and coconut oil, which have a high pore-clogging potent, argan oil rarely clogs the pores. Argan has an almost-zero rating on the comedogenicity scale (a scale that shows the pore-clogging potency of oils). The fatty acids in the oil have a chemical bond that makes them behave differently.
Why Use Organic Argan Oil?
Organic argan oil contains only one ingredient, argan oil. Manufacturers cold-press the argan oil and bottle it without filtering it to retain all the nutrients. The argan oil comes directly from the argan trees with all the nutrients without dilution, the addition of preservatives, colors, or fragrances.
Another benefit of organic argan oil is that the argan tree grows in organic fields where farmers do not use pesticides, herbicides, or any other chemicals as the plant grows. The resulting product is pure and free of all chemicals.
Cold-pressing does not involve heat, which means that the amino acids and vitamins in the oil remain intact.
Because the oil is highly concentrated (with no fillers), you can add a few drops of it in other skin care and organic hair care products for easy application.
Is Natural Argan Oil the Same as Organic Argan Oil?
Organic argan oil is natural from the argan tree. However, natural oil may not be organic. If a brand indicates the oil is natural, it means the oil is free from the argan tree instead of oil from chemicals, but they might not have been organically grown.
It is common to find natural argan oil with chemicals from pesticides, herbicides, and other farm chemicals. To avoid all that, choose organic argan oil. Even then, you still have to ensure the oil has a USDA certification to show that it is actually organic.
How to Use Your Argan Oil
Like all other oils, argan oil is not a moisturizer. These oils are occlusive, which is a complicated word for substances that lock in moisture. They prevent the oil from evaporating from the skin surface.
To make the oil useful, therefore, apply only in minimal amounts. You can also use it on moist skin or over your moisturizer to lock in the moisturizing ingredients.
The main advantage of argan oil is that it is lightweight and absorbs rather quickly. It leaves you with a shiny sheen and not a fat layer that may make you feel uncomfortable. If you'd rather not appear shiny, apply the oil at night after washing your face – by morning, it will have absorbed fully.
Some oils are thick and not easy to apply, and they may also leave a greasy feel on your skin. For such products, you can mix them with your other skin care and hair care products, such as your shampoo and lotion. It makes the oil easy to apply and avoid leaving a creamy layer.
What are the Benefits of the Natural Argan Oil on Skin and Hair?
- Dissolve oils in your makeup for easy removal: If you have challenges removing makeup at the end of the day, you can use argan oil to dissolve oils in your makeup for easy removal. After removal, the fatty acids in argan oil nourish the skin until the following day.
- Skin Exfoliation: Argan oil exfoliates your skin – you can mix the oil with brown sugar and rub it gently on the skin to remove dead cells.
- Treat beard rush and make beard shine: If you have problems with razor burns and pimples, or you just want your beard to shine, you can apply argan oil. It initiates the healing process for razor burns and gives your beard shine.
- Treat your cuticles: Argan oil nourishes the cuticles to prevent hangnails when you are doing manicure and pedicure.
- Reduce lip chapping and cracking: A few drops of argan oil helps heal your lips and moisturize them to prevent chapping and cracking. The vitamin E and other phytochemicals in the oil nourish the lips.
- Reduce fine lines and wrinkles: Different studies show the benefits of dietary and cosmetic argan oil in reducing fine lines and wrinkles. The oil increases the skin's flexibility and elasticity, making the skin on different parts of the body appear tight.
- Heal wounds: Another study on the effects of argan oil on a second-degree burn wound shows that the oil soothes the wound and initiates the healing process. You can use it on burns, cuts, and broken parts of the skin.
- Moisturize and heal your hair: The fatty acids in argan oil support a healthy and hydrated scalp. By supporting the health of your hair, the oil reduces damages on your hair and corrects frizzy, dry, and dead hair.
- Reduce breakouts and redness: The vitamin E in argan oil is anti-inflammatory. Granted, it regulates the amount of sebum that your skin produces to have fewer breakouts and irritation. The antioxidants help soothe your skin when you have conditions such as eczema.
Picking the Best Organic Argan Oil Brand
When shopping for argan oil, consider the following:
- Choose Therapeutic and Cosmetic Grade: Argan oil is available for cosmetic use and cooking. While all the grades will give you the benefits you need, the therapeutic and cosmetic grades work better for skin and hair care.
- Choose Cold-Pressed Oil: High temperatures denature the amino acids in argan oil and destroy the vitamins. To retain the nutrients during processing, manufacturers cold-press the argan kernels to remove the oil.
- Avoid oils with fillers and other nutrients: Some oil brands might come with a deodorized tag, which might make them easy to apply, but it means the concentration of the argan oil is low. Some are also so thin and maybe diluted – avoid these too.
- Pick Argan Oil in Dark Bottles: In most cases, argan oil comes in a gold brownish bottle that is UV protected. The protection preserves the nutrients and photosensitization of the oil.
- Color and smell: The natural color of argan oil is light golden yellow. The color should not be too bright, as this might be an indication it is diluted. If the oil is golden brown, it is an indication that it is culinary argan oil.
- Certifications: Every brand of organic argan oil should be USDA certified. The USDA organic certification shows that a product followed the set standards for hygiene and safety. A Leaping Bunny Program certificate is also essential as it shows the product was never tested on animals. Some might come with an FDA approval seal.
- Price: Moroccan argan oil is expensive as the kernels undergo processing in Morocco and then bottled in other countries. Unless the oil is not organic, it may not have a cheap price tag.
The 12 Best Organic Argan Oil Brands
#1 PURA D'OR Organic Argan Oil
- Cold-pressed from the argan tree, the PURA D'OR Organic Argan Oil is free from chemicals common in conventional beauty products. You can use it for your skin and hair.
- It contains a high concentration of antioxidants from the organic argan tree, which protects from toxins and exposure from the sun, which might damage your skin.
- When used on the hair, the oil locks in your scalp's natural moisture, thereby boosting your hydration levels. It is ideal when you have curly or brittle hair.
- PURA D'OR Organic Argan Oil is unrefined as it comes 100 percent organic from the argan tree. It is USDA certified, which makes it gentle on your skin.
- It is free from added colors, scents, paraben, gluten, and any other chemicals.
- USDA Certified Organic
- Cold Pressed
#2 VoilaVe Pure Organic Argan Oil
- The oil comes from unrefined argan oil cold pressed from the argan tree with no fillers.
- It is naturally rich in vitamin E for your face, skin, nails, and beard. You can add it to your shampoo, conditioner, skin lotion, or any other beauty care product, and you can also use it alone.
- The oil can be used as beard oil, nail oil, and lip oil. It has a thick concentration with less water, so you only need to use a small amount. It protects and heals your skin.
- VoilaVe cold presses the argan oil from Morocco before importing to the United States and other parts of the world.
- The oil is rich in carotenes, antioxidants, vitamin E and fatty acids, free from chemicals such as parabens. It is also vegan, cruelty-free, and gluten-free.
- Unrefined and has no fillers
#3 Kate Blanc Cosmetics Moroccan Argan Oil
Best for Frizzy Hair
- Kate Blanc Cosmetics cold presses all their argan oil products in Morocco to guarantee the purity of every product.
- The product facilitates the growth of hair and hair shine and health. It also heals the scalp, repairs damaged, curly, and dead hair.
- You can also use it on your skin and your body alone or by adding it to other skincare products. It heals the skin for acne, psoriasis, dark circles, eczema, and fine lines.
- The manufacturer offers a 100 percent guarantee and a one-year warranty.
- Each bottle comes USDA certified organic, cruelty-free, gluten-free, free of colors, additives, and preservatives. It is also free from chemicals such as parabens and phthalates.
- USDA Certified Organic
- Cold-pressed in Morocco
#4 Foxbrim Naturals Pure Organic Argan Oil
Best Pure Virgin Oil
- Each bottle from Foxbrim Naturals comes with pure extra virgin oil, unrefined, with no fillers, colors, or additives.
- The product is USDA certified organic cold-pressed from Morocco and shipped to other parts of the world. Here, the argan tree grows organically.
- It comes with a dropper applicator so that you can use just enough. It is ideal for your hair, nails, and skin.
- Because it has no chemicals, it is safe to use directly on your skin, hair, and nails. It moisturizes your scalp and your skin.
- Pure organic argan oil increases your skin's flexibility and removes fine lines, scars, and wrinkles with each application.
- Extra virgin
- USDA certified organic
#5 Poppy Austin Pure Argan Oil
Best for All Types of Skins
- Poppy Austin presents this product in an unrefined and cold-pressed form. It is pure argan oil from Morocco that is vegan, cruelty-free, and free of gluten.
- Pure organic oil is rich in vitamin E, fatty acids, and antioxidants, making it ideal for all types of skins and hair.
- It also moisturizes your scalp to help fight off split ends, frizz, and damages caused by toxins and pollution.
- This product is extremely light, making it easy to apply, and it also absorbs fast into your skin or your hair.
- It is USDA certified organic to show that it is free from parabens, phthalates, colors, fillers, and fragrances. This way, it is gentle on your skin and your scalp.
- Hand made
- Vegan certified
#6 Eve Hansen Pure Moroccan Argan Oil
Best for Use with Other Products
- Each bottle comes with unfiltered and cold-pressed pure argan oil from Morocco to guarantee the highest quality.
- You can mix a few drops of this product with your lotion, shampoo, conditioner, or cream, and it works perfectly to remove fine lines, wrinkles, stretch marks, and leave your skin vibrant.
- It comes with a pure argan oil formula that conditions all skin types and corrects frizzy and damaged hair.
- It is USDA certified organic and has no phthalates, parabens, or other chemicals.
- Comes with no fillers, colors, scents, or preservatives. The product is also vegan, cruelty-free, and free from gluten.
- Cold-pressed extraction
- USDA certified
- Cruelty and scent-free
#7 Majestic Pure Moroccan Argan Oil
Best for East of Application
- Majestic Pure collects and cold presses the argan kernels from the argan tree southwestern of Morocco as a guarantee of quality.
- Comes with a smooth texture for easy application, with a natural pale to golden yellow color, and the mild nutty smell of pure argan oil.
- It comes in a dark amber bottle and a glass dropper so you can apply just enough. Because this is pure argan oil, a single drop goes a long way.
- Argan oil is a natural moisturizer for your skin, cuticles, hair, foot, lips, and face.
- This oil is USDA certified organic with no additives or fillers, making it gentle on your skin and scalp.
- Triple extra virgin
- Cruelty and gluten-free
#8 Cliganic 100-Percent Pure Organic Argan Oil
Best Fast-absorbing Argan oil
- The product is USDA certified organic to guarantee its integrity. It is unrefined and cold-pressed in Morocco.
- It is 100 percent pure and natural with no additives, chemicals, scent, water, or alcohol. It also doesn't have phthalates, parabens, and other harmful substances.
- As pure argan oil, it benefits your hair, scalp face and body, and your nails. It moisturizes, heals, and conditions, and you can use it on all skin types and hair conditions.
- The formula is lightweight and absorbs fast. It is also gentle on your skin and does not leave a greasy feeling on your hands and skin.
- Cliganic observes high standards during bottling to guarantee the purity of the argan oil. Each bottle comes with a cruelty-free certification to show that the company does not test it on animals.
- USDA certified
- Scent and color free
#9 US Organic USDA Certified Moroccan Argan Oil
Best Anti-Aging Oil
- It is pure organic argan oil with no additives, fillers, fragrances, or preservatives. Each bottle carries unrefined Moroccan argan oil rich in vitamin E, fatty acids, and phytochemicals.
- The oil is ideal for dry and damaged skin with fine lines. It improves the elasticity of your skin and supports the regeneration of cells.
- US Organics observes high hygiene standards during the bottling of the argan oil to preserve its purity in every bottle.
- Comes with the Leaping Bunny Program Certification to show that the oil is not tested on animals. It also comes with USDA organic certification to show it does not have chemicals and is gentle on your skin.
- You only need between one and three drops of argan oil massaged on your neck, hair, skin, scalp, and nails.
- Cold-pressed virgin oil
- Unrefined and cruelty-free
#10 Mother Nature Organic Pure Moroccan Organic Argan Oil
Best for Hair and Beards
- Mother Nature's organic argan oil is an extract from the kernels of the argan tree. It is USDA certified organic, cruelty-free, non-GMO, and vegan.
- It comes in a rich gold yellowish color of natural argan oil and light nutty smell. Since it has no additives, it is scent-free, and free of chemicals, making it gentle.
- Mother Nature cold presses the argan oil from Morocco in individual bottles for the best quality and preserving the oil's effectiveness and purity.
- The oil is ideal for smooth skin and healthy hair. Men can use the oil on beards to make them soft and shiny.
- It comes with a glass bottle and a dropper that makes it easy to apply – you can only dispense only enough for one application.
#11 Orchid and Temple USDA Certified Pure Organic Argan Oil
Best for Skin Healing
- This oil comes unfiltered and purely organic from the Moroccan argan oil. It is free of phthalates, parabens, fragrances, and any harmful chemicals.
- Has a USDA certification to show it is purely organic and gentle on your skin. It also has Leaping Bunny Program certification, indicating it is not tested on animals.
- Its lightweight formula is easy to apply and fast-absorbing, so your hair shines, and your skin starts to heal almost immediately.
- Orchid and Temple ensure the ingredients are pure by observing high hygiene standards when cold-pressing and bottling the argan oil.
- You can mix the oil with other skincare and haircare products to make it easy to use and see many more benefits.
- Therapeutic grade and undiluted
- USDA certified
#12 Mountain Top Unrefined Organic Argan Oil
Best Non-greasy Oil
- Mountain Top Argan Oil comes in a gold bottle and a dropper applicator for fast application. You only need between one and four drops rubbed on your hands and massaged on your scalp or skin.
- The oil is safe for use on your skin, face, nails, and hair. It is free from hexane, phthalates, parabens, and any other chemicals harmful to your skin
- Rejuvenates your skin and your hair giving them a youthful look. It also enhances the beauty of your nails and your lips.
- You can add a few drops of this oil to your skincare and haircare products, such as your shampoo, skin lotion, and others. This makes it easy to apply.
- It is USDA certified. Mountain Top cold presses the argan oil in Morocco and observes set international standards to guarantee. The company offers a money-back guarantee for anyone who may not like the product.
- Unrefined formula
- USDA certified organic
You do not have to test all the oil brands above. Just pick two or three and see which meets your needs. I recommend the PURA D'OR Organic Argan Oil if you'd rather skip the testing process. It is not so light and thick, making it easy to apply on your hair, skin, lips, and nails. When it is working correctly, the spray applicator is the best for hair as you do not spend so much time rubbing the oil on every section. Again, you only use a small amount when you spray and not rub the oil on hair.