Table of Contents
- Best Organic Shampoo for Colored Hair: Comparison Table
- How Is Organic Shampoo for Colored Hair Different from Regular Shampoo
- Is Natural Shampoo for Colored Hair Better than Regular Shampoo?
- The 12 Best Organic Hair Gel
- Best Organic Hair Spray
- Ingredients and Factors to Consider When Shopping for Organic Color Safe Shampoo
- Best Organic Shampoo for Color Treated Hair Helps with Hair Loss
- A Versatile Shampoo: A Shampoo for all Hair Types
- Frequently Asked Questions on Best Organic and Natural Shampoo For Color Treated Hair
- What makes organic shampoo better for colored hair?
- Is it safe to use organic shampoo on colored hair every day?
- What is the best way of using organic shampoo?
- What causes hair fall in colored hair?
- Does organic shampoo help against dandruff?
- Top 12 Organic Shampoo For Color Treated
- #1 R+Co Gemstone Color Shampoo
- #2 Love Beauty and Planet Rose Hair Shampoo and Conditioner
- #3 Premium Nature Argan Oil Shampoo and Conditioner
- #4 NatureLab Perfect Smooth Vegan Shampoo
- #5 Shiny Leaf Castor Oil Shampoo
- #6 Maple Holistics Argan Oil Shampoo and Hair Conditioner
- #7 LuxeOrganix Organic Tea Tree Shampoo and Conditioner
- #8 Innersense Organic Beauty Color Awakening Hairbath
- #9 Herbal Essences Shampoo and Conditioner
- #10 SoloCoquette Repairing Shampoo
- #11 Pura D’Or Apple Cider Vinegar Thin2Thick Shampoo and Conditioner
- #12 Majestic Pure Shampoo and Conditioner
- Final Thoughts
The main purpose of hair shampoo is to remove dirt, maintain the shine of your hair, and make your hair soft, for easy combing. But do all shampoos do that?
When you apply that viscous fluid to your wet hair, do you mind the chemicals in the shampoo? If you have color-treated hair, you have to be more careful shopping for shampoo because most commercial shampoos damage colored hair quickly.
In this guide, we teach you how to pick the best organic shampoo for color treated hair. Read on for more.
Best Organic Shampoo for Colored Hair: Comparison Table
Our #1 rated
R+Co Gemstone Color Shampoo
Love Beauty and Planet Rose Hair Shampoo and Conditioner
Premium Nature Argan Oil Shampoo and Conditioner
NatureLab Perfect Smooth Vegan Shampoo
Shiny Leaf Castor Oil Shampoo
Maple Holistics Argan Oil Shampoo and Hair Conditioner
LuxeOrganix Organic Tea Tree Shampoo and Conditioner
Innersense Organic Beauty Color Awakening Hairbath
Herbal Essences Shampoo and Conditioner
SoloCoquette Repairing Shampoo
Pura D’Or Apple Cider Vinegar Thin2Thick Shampoo and Conditioner
Majestic Pure Shampoo and Conditioner
How Is Organic Shampoo for Colored Hair Different from Regular Shampoo
Which shampoo works best for you colored hair, organic or regular? Below are some of the differences that make organic shampoo a better choice for your hair.
The chemicals in a shampoo determine whether it is organic or synthetic. Organic shampoos are free of all chemicals. Manufacturers ensure there are no chemicals from the preparation of ingredients to the production of the shampoo. In regular shampoo, chemicals are used at each stage of production. However, the organic shampoo may lack bubbles as present in regular shampoo since it lacks in surfactants and bubble boosters. It still cleans your colored hair and maintains your scalp moisture.
Chemicals are harsh, but natural oils are not. Organic shampoos heal your hair by use of natural oils and natural products such as aloe vera and coconut oil. The soothing effect of these natural oil makes organic shampoo better for color-treated hair. Regular shampoos may work, but they are also harsh on your hair. Unless your hair is naturally healthy, using regular shampoo might leave the hair dry.
The effects of sulfates and parabens in regular shampoo on your hair can be fatal. This is especially true if your hair is colored and weak. Sometimes these shampoos might leave you with dry hair that is weaker than it was. Organic shampoo has natural ingredients such as shea butter and natural oils, which are safe on your hair.
Organic shampoo helps you moisturize your scalp and your hair and this is great if your hair is dry. Most of the ingredients in organic shampoo are natural oils that nourish your scalp and leave it moisturized. Regular shampoo, on the other hand, contains many chemicals that may strip your hair of moisture when used for a long time.
Is Natural Shampoo for Colored Hair Better than Regular Shampoo?
By all means, buy organic shampoo for any type of hair.
Organic shampoo is safe for your hair and it offers a range of benefits for all types of hair. For starters, the natural ingredients infuse your hair follicles and the scalp cells with natural minerals, oils, and herbal extracts.
The infusion of these natural ingredients leaves your hair clean, remove dead cells, and nourishes your chemical-treated hair. The color-treated hair is always weak, thanks to the chemicals used. The best shampoo, therefore, should make the hair strong to avoid damages, especially at the tips of the hair. When the hair follicle is well-nourished, the hair grows strong.
Organic shampoos come with different ingredients with each serving a purpose in keeping your hair healthy.
Organic lupine botanicals are ideal ingredients when you need to control fading of colored hair and split ends. Coconut oil and aloe vera come in handy in nourishing colored hair. Shea butter maintains the shine of your color-treated hair. If you have a shampoo with all these natural ingredients, you are sure your hair will be protected from split ends.
Better yet, the natural oils will leave you smelling nicely. Natural shampoos are friendly to the environment. Most of the ingredients are biodegradable and usually break down after use. This way, the materials do not cause any contamination or other problems to the environment. Even better, most of the organic shampoos tend to be vegan and cruelty-free for people who are taking a healthy turn in life.
Ingredients and Factors to Consider When Shopping for Organic Color Safe Shampoo
The main factor to consider when shopping for organic shampoo is its ingredients. However, knowing the exact ingredients to look for can be a challenge. Below are some of the elements to consider before buying a shampoo.
Aloe vera is a natural moisturizer – this is why it is a key ingredient in most shampoos. Do not be fooled by the addition of aloe vera in regular shampoos – an organic shampoo has all natural ingredients. When used in a shampoo, aloe vera absorbs into the hair follicles to strengthen and moisturize them. The product also soothes your scalp in case of any irritation and even protects your scalp from dandruff.
The pH of your hair naturally stands at 5.5. However, when the hair is exposed to UV rays and chemicals from hair cleaners, the pH might alter a little. The right pH is necessary for the health of your hair. To prevent the alteration of hair pH, pick a shampoo that will balance the pH of your hair. Aloe vera and apple cider vinegar are slightly acidic and can be used to lower the pH of your hair.
Argan oil is another common ingredient in natural shampoos. It is responsible for moisturizing your hair and giving it a long lasting shine. The ingredient is also great if you need to prevent frizz and ensure your chemical-treated hair does not split.
Chamomile is soothing. It is added in organic shampoos to reduce scalp irritation and also fight inflammation. Besides soothing your scalp, chamomile ensures you have a healthy scalp and gives your hair a great shine. When used for a long time, chamomile tends to lighten hair. This quality makes it less appealing for color-treated hair. As such, ensure that the quantity of the chamomile in the shampoo is very minimal.
Other Ingredients to Look Out For
There are many more ingredients to look out for in natural shampoo. They include lavender, rosemary, mint, lime, sage, almond extract, and grapefruit.
- Lavender is an excellent ingredient, thanks to its sweet scent, antiseptic properties, and its anti-inflammatory qualities. When used on colored hair, lavender leaves the scalp relaxed.
- Rosemary is an antioxidant that helps protect your scalp from damage resulting from free radicals. Mint is another common ingredient in natural shampoos – as an ingredient, it freshens your scalp and keeps your senses awake. Lime is added to shampoos for its fresh aroma while sage is for its antibacterial and anti-fungal properties.
- Almond extracts are ideal for dry, flaky, and itchy scalp. It provides a calming effect when the scalp is irritated. Grapefruit works the same as essential oils. It eliminates dandruff, promotes hair growth, and leaves your hair shiny.
- Essential oils and vitamins are also added to organic shampoo to nourish and moisturize your scalp. These include vitamins E, Shea butter, and Jojoba oil, and Coconut oil among others.
Best Organic Shampoo for Color Treated Hair Helps with Hair Loss
The best shampoo for colored hair should help with hair loss. When you color your hair, you expose it to chemicals that might weaken it. If your hair is thin and delicate, and it is starting to fall off, you might consider a shampoo that helps you strengthen your hair. Strengthening products infuse into the hair root and strengthen your hair, protecting you from hair loss.
Lavender is one of the ingredients that can help with hair loss – look for a shampoo with lavender. Biotin is another natural ingredient that can help prevent hair loss. Biotin works to ensure the roots of your hair are strong. It is also great because it helps thicken your hair.
A Versatile Shampoo: A Shampoo for all Hair Types
A good shampoo should be used on all hair types. However, some shampoos are only ideal for a specific type of hair; say curly or dry, fine or thick. Ensure that the shampoo you choose not only works well for your color-treated hair, but also on your specific type of hair.
You can also pick a shampoo that matches your hair type. If you have fine hair, your hair might get oily very fast. As such, you need to avoid creamy shampoos and, instead, go for clear formulas. Gentle and volumizing shampoos will work great for your fine hair.
If your hair is frizzy, you need to pick a conditioner with more conditioner than shampoo. If your hair is dry and coarse, you need a creamy moisturizing shampoo. Note that, the creamy shampoo should have a lot of conditioner too. People with dry hair can actually skip using a shampoo and instead do a conditioner-only washing.
For color-treated hair, the ingredients need to be gentle to preserve color. Besides picking ingredients for your hair type, remember to pick ingredients that strengthen the weak areas of your hair. Protein-based shampoos with ingredients such as silk amino acids and wheat and soy extracts are the best.
If the hair was overly processed during the color-treatment, the bases of the hair might be oily and the ends dry and weak. In such a case, you need to wash the scalp with normal shampoo and the ends of your hair with conditioning shampoo.
If your scalp has dandruff, you can use three different shampoos to fight the fungus. If you use one shampoo, the fungus can mutate and develop immunity for the shampoo you use. If you use three shampoos in alternation, the fungus dies.
Frequently Asked Questions on Best Organic and Natural Shampoo For Color Treated Hair
What makes organic shampoo better for colored hair?
The soothing effect of natural shampoo and the gentle properties of natural ingredients make them ideal for color-treated hair. The nutrients, natural oils, and vitamins are ideal in retaining the moisture of chemical-treated hair. If you use these shampoos routinely, your hair becomes radiant and healthy.
Is it safe to use organic shampoo on colored hair every day?
It is not safe to use any shampoo every day, even if the shampoo is organic. You need to use it a maximum of three times in a week. Excessive use of hair shampoo can result in hair frizz, unwanted hair fall, and can alter the pH of your hair. Wash your hair with natural shampoo twice a week. You can wash the hair with pure water every day for a beautiful healthy hair.
What is the best way of using organic shampoo?
Start by wetting your hair using lukewarm water before applying the shampoo. Avoid using boiling water as it strips the hair off its natural oil. Apply the shampoo and massage it into your hair. Start by massaging it into the scalp and then massage it along the length of your hair. A thick form should form between your fingers and the scalp as you continue massaging the shampoo. Note that, natural shampoo does not form a very thick lather as it lacks surfactants and foam boosters.
Clean your scalp and the hair strands and then rinse through with warm water. Apply a mild conditioner and rinse again. You can do this twice or thrice in a week. Check the video below.
What causes hair fall in colored hair?
The chemicals used in hair treatments can result in hair fall. This happens when the scalp is irritated and the hair becomes weak. However, hair fall might also be a result of stress, bad lifestyle, hereditary factors, and medicinal effect. Once you have your hair color-treated, avoid chemicals such as myreth sulfate, sodium lauryl sulfate, olefin sulfate, and ammonium lauryl sulfate. Instead, look for soothing ingredients in a shampoo.
Does organic shampoo help against dandruff?
You can use natural shampoo to fight dandruff. The best shampoo for dandruff should be herbal shampoo as it takes care of itchy and dry scalp, and brings shine to your hair. Besides bringing in shine, herbal shampoos can lock in color for an extended period.
Top 12 Organic Shampoo For Color Treated
#1 R+Co Gemstone Color Shampoo
Best Vegan and Best Overall Shampoo
- Gemstone color shampoo features a gentle formula to protect the health and the color of your hair.
- The formula has all-natural ingredients, including hibiscus extract from Egypt to soften and condition the hair, pea extract from India to preserve hair color, rice extract to retain hair moisture and add shine, and golden root extract to provide antioxidant that protects hair from thermal stress.
- It is free from parabens, sulfates, petrolatum, mineral oils, gluten, and cruelty. The formula is also vegan-friendly.
- The fragrances are subtle, yet sophisticated. This makes the shampoo ideal for both men and women.
- R+Co Company has formulated other products that go well with this shampoo to provide excellent results. These include Gemstone Color Conditioner for anyone with color-treated hair; One-Prep spray to protect the hair from chemicals; Grid-structural Setting Spray to offer long-lasting styles, and Badlands Dry Shampoo for when you do not need to use water.
#2 Love Beauty and Planet Rose Hair Shampoo and Conditioner
Best Detangling Shampoo
- If you recently color-treated your tangled hair, you can use this shampoo to protect the color from fading and detangle the hair.
- The product comes as a set of conditioner and shampoo. The shampoo cleanses and softens while the conditioner moisturizes and detangles your hair.
- The coconut oil ensures that your hair stays strong to avoid breaking after treatment.
- It is infused with Murumuru butter that keeps your hair color vibrant.
- Free from chemicals such as paraben and sulfates.
#3 Premium Nature Argan Oil Shampoo and Conditioner
Best Volumizing Hair Shampoo and Conditioner
- The formula consists of all-natural ingredients such as Morrocan argan oil, avocado oil, peach, jojoba oil, vitamin E oil, camelia oil, and almond oil.
- It repairs damaged hair after treatment and also prevents further damage.
- The shampoo and conditioner are suitable for all hair types.
#4 NatureLab Perfect Smooth Vegan Shampoo
Best Shampoo for Frizzy Hair
- NatureLab christens this shampoo as the perfect smooth shampoo, as it helps maintain subtle highlights that keep fading after every hair wash.
- It features all-natural ingredients including bamboo stem cells and keratin for strong hair and argan, marula, and Baobab oil to keep the hair moisturized. These ingredients provide enough nourishment to keep your hair smooth, soft, and frizz-free.
- The shampoo also has quinoa in its formula, which forms a layer of hydration over your colored hair. This ensures that your hair remains moisturized without losing the external color.
- Further, the shampoo packs a warm, soothing scent of Japanese yuzu, which makes it ideal for men and women.
- It is free from harsh chemicals such as parabens, sulfates, phthalates, mineral oil, and gluten.
#5 Shiny Leaf Castor Oil Shampoo
Best Hair Strengthening Organic Shampoo
- This Castor Oil Shampoo is great for hair that is prone to breaking after treatment. The oil infuses into the hair, making it strong.
- The shampoo nourishes each strand from the root to the hair ends with a moisturizing formula that is high in castor oil.
- Besides protecting the hair from fading by providing a hydrating layer on the strands, the shampoo is great for hair regrowth. The cold-pressed castor oil enhances the circulation of blood to the hair follicles, which facilitates the growth of longer and lusher hair.
- It repairs dry and damaged hair by hydrating and moisturizing it to keep it healthy.
- The formula features vitamins and minerals, which strengthen the hair strands, keeping them strong. It has also a conditioner, allowing you to style your hair the way you want.
- Works for all types of hair from colored, normal, brunette, red hair and any other.
#6 Maple Holistics Argan Oil Shampoo and Hair Conditioner
Best Cleansing Organic Shampoo
- Instead of a shampoo with hair conditioner, Maple Holistics offers a set of shampoo and conditioner separately.
- The shampoo is great in cleansing your hair and replenishing rough colored hair. This is made possible by the phytonutrients provided by jojoba oil, argan oil, and green tea.
- The formula protects your colored hair from damage, it reduces frizz on hair, and reduces fading. Better yet, the vitamins, proteins, and keratin promote hair growth and strength.
- If you are allergic or you have a sensitive skin, the hypoallergenic formula ensures that your skin is not affected. The products have no fragrance and no artificial colors. No parabens, sulfates, phthalates, or silicone among other harmful chemicals in the formula.
- The mild formula strengthens your hair.
#7 LuxeOrganix Organic Tea Tree Shampoo and Conditioner
Best Organic Shampoo for Rough Hair
- This shampoo is ideal for rough hair. It nourishes your hair, making it healthy and softer. Leaves your hair with a fresh scent, thanks to the extracts from rosemary, mint, and vanilla.
- The formula is free from sulfates and sodium chloride, which makes it safe for color-treated hair.
- With an all-natural formula, the LuxeOrganic hydrates your hair and leaves it feeling soft and healthy.
- The biotin and the keratin in the formula strengthen your color-treated hair to ensure it does not break from the ends.
#8 Innersense Organic Beauty Color Awakening Hairbath
Gentle Cleansing Organic Shampoo
- The gentle formula of this shampoo makes it ideal for colored hair. It revitalizes the color, so, it does not fade for a long time.
- Key ingredients in the formula of this product include coconut and rice bran oil to protect and hydrate your hair, sunflower seed oil to revitalize the color of your hair, pumpkin seed oil to facilitate blood circulation to the hair follicle, Cranberry seed oil to soothe the scalp, and Rooibos tea to heal the scalp and reduce inflammation.
- The formula is free from parabens, sulfates, and is cruelty-free. This makes it suitable for sensitive skin.
- You will not see a film left behind by the shampoo and it does not weigh your hair down.
- It has a high concentration of key ingredients, which means it has less water.
#9 Herbal Essences Shampoo and Conditioner
Best Organic Shampoo for Dandruff
- The shampoo is of 87 percent natural origin while the conditioner is on 90 percent natural origin.
- Forms a hydrating layer on color-treated hair, ensuring that it does not fade or dry
- It sports a sweet scent of honey, creamy vanilla, and jasmine.
- Each product is formulated with real botanicals and natural source materials. The purity of the products is further enhanced by limited processing and use of purified water.
- The main ingredients are honey and vitamin B for healthy hair.
#10 SoloCoquette Repairing Shampoo
Best Shampoo for Damaged Hair
- SoloCoquette markets this is a repairing shampoo with Caribbean coconut essence. Its formula facilitates recovery in vibrancy in color-treated and damaged hair.
- The formula is pH balanced, so, it does not affect the pH of your hair. This further promotes the health and strength of your hair.
- It is free from sulfates, salt, parabens, phthalates, silicone, formaldehyde, and mineral oils.
- To ensure the anti-oxidant properties of the Virgin Coconut oil are not lost, the formula is handcrafted in a controlled lab. The antioxidants reduce inflammation and further enhance the health of your hair.
- You can gain more benefits from this repairing shampoo by combining it with SoloCoquette deep mask and leave-in.
#11 Pura D’Or Apple Cider Vinegar Thin2Thick Shampoo and Conditioner
Best Shampoo for Dry Hair
- Pura D’Or offers separate bottles for the shampoo and conditioner. These two products feature moisturizing properties to keep your hair hydrated and your scalp healthier for hair growth.
- The formula has vitamins and nutrients to repair hair damaged as a result of treatment. It restores hair to its voluminous and vibrant look.
- Apple cider vinegar is responsible for the pH balancing properties of these products. It cleanses the scalp, locks in moisture, and reduces dryness and frizz.
- Both the shampoo and the conditioner have wholesome botanical ingredients, up to 15 natural ingredients, to promote thicker and healthier hair.
- The formula reduces damage and breakage caused by treating hair.
#12 Majestic Pure Shampoo and Conditioner
Best Clarifying Shampoo and Conditioner
- This shampoo from Majestic Pure has an apple cider vinegar to offer balanced pH and a clean and healthy scalp.
- The conditioner features an avocado and coconut conditioner that hydrates your scalp, leaving it moisturized and healthy.
- It clarifies and enhances your hair’s color.
- The hair conditioner works great for dry hair.
- Works well for users with dandruff.
The R+Co Gemstone Color ShampooR+Co Gemstone Color Shampoo is the best organic shampoo for color treated hair among all the products we reviewed above. It has all-natural ingredients and works for all types of hair. It is also easy to use and works for thick and thin hair.
You do not have to try out all the products above. You can pick three that impress you and see which one will meet your hair needs.