Table of Contents
- The 10 Best Organic Face Serums in 2022
- The 12 Best Organic Argan Oil Brands
- Are Organic Hand Soaps the Same as Natural Soaps?
- What are the Benefits of Using Natural or Organic Hand Soap?
- Benefits of Organic Hand Soap
- Ingredients to Look For in Hand Soap
- Ingredients to Avoid in Natural Hand Soap
- Top 10 Organic Hand Soap Products
- #1 Brittanie’s Thyme Organic Hand Soap
- #2 Botanic Hearth Tea Tree Hand Soap
- #3 Puracy Hand Soap and Lotion
- #4 First Botany Tea Tree and Mint Hand Soap
- #5 Kosmatology Goody-Goody Organic Foaming Soap
- #6 GreenFist High Foaming Hand Wash Soap
- #7 Avalon Organics Refreshing Hand Soap
- #8 Regalia Antimicrobial Lotionized Hand Wash
- #9 Maple Holistics Anti-Bacterial Hand Wash
- #10 Tom’s of Maine Prebiotic Natural Liquid Hand Soap
- Our Verdict
According to the Center for Disease Control, you can prevent so many illnesses by washing your hands with soap and water. However, if the hand soap contains chemicals such as parabens and sulfates, you might be doing more harm than good to your body. Chemicals might leave your skin dry or even exacerbate your skin problems.
Instead of chemical-laden handwashing soaps, you should go for the best organic hand soap. Natural hand soap features all-natural ingredients that are not harmful to your skin or your body. By using organic hand soap, you protect your skin, the environment, and animals.
Are Organic Hand Soaps the Same as Natural Soaps?
All organic soaps are natural, meaning that the ingredients are either plant or animal-based and not chemical-based. Natural soaps contain fats, oils, lye, water, and sometimes some essential oils.
On the other hand, organic hand soaps have the advantage of using ingredients sourced from organic farms. Organic farming practices do not use inorganic fertilizers, pesticides, herbicides, or any other chemicals that might absorb into the final plant product.
Again, organic hand soaps contain no animal by-products, and the manufacturers do not test them on animals, making them safe for the environment and the users.
What are the Benefits of Using Natural or Organic Hand Soap?
Conventional hand soaps contain harmful chemicals like any detergent you might use to clean your clothes. Some even include steroids, which might cause skin allergies. For sensitive skin, you will have rapid reactions that might leave your skin irritated, or even your epidermis conditions exacerbated. Using organic hand soap can help you avoid the toxins present in conventional soaps.
Benefits of Organic Hand Soap
- Better for the Environment – Organic ingredients grow without the use of any chemicals. It means fewer toxins in the environment. There are no pesticides, herbicides, or other chemicals that might pollute the environment. Because farmers do not use chemicals, they are healthier as they do not need to spray their crops to produce the ingredients. Some manufacturers are better yet using biodegradable packaging for the products, making the package easy to dispose.
- Cruelty-Free – Most organic hand soaps are cruelty-free. It means they do not use any animal by-product, and the manufacturer does not test the finished product on animals.
- Healing Properties of Natural Ingredients – Natural ingredients such as rosemary, tea tree oil, thyme, aloe vera, coconut oil, jojoba oil, and many others have healing properties. If you have dry and cracked hands, the organic soap will leave your hand smooth, soft, and moisturized. The healing properties of these soaps can correct skin conditions such as sunburn and eczema.
- Glycerin Moisturizes – Instead of extracting glycerin for use in other products, organic hand soap contains glycerin, which moisturizes the skin. The ingredient retains the skin moisture and ensures your skin is soft to touch at all times. While this means the organic soap might be more expensive, the benefits are worth the cost.
- Rejuvenates the Skin – Most organic soaps come loaded with antioxidants that rejuvenate your skin to make it look younger and healthier. Antioxidants can also help you avoid some skin conditions such as fine lines and wrinkles.
- Used by Vegans – Organic soaps only use botanical extracts and herbs in their formula. They contain oils extracted from leaves and flowers of plants such as rosemary, lavender, tea tree, peppermint, and spices such as cinnamon, clove. Fruits such as lemon might also provide the ingredients.
- Balanced pH – Most organic soaps have a pH of between 9 and 10. It makes them gentle on all types of skin. Natural ingredients such as coconut oil provide moisture for the skin and raise the pH of the product to maintain your skin's pH.
Ingredients to Look For in Hand Soap
Some of the ingredients common in organic hand soap include:
- Base Oils – The base oils for soapmaking are the same as the oils you use for cooking. The oils include coconut, castor bean oil, and olive oils, among others.
- Glycerin – It is a natural plant ingredient that acts as a humectant (absorbs moisture from the air and leaves it on your skin). Aloe vera and honey have the same effect as glycerin, and they might appear in some soaps too.
- Essential oils – Essential oils such as tea tree oil make the hand soap smells excellent after use, and the scent may linger for a long time after washing your hands. These essential oils also have healing properties and are great when you have skin conditions. Essential oils are extracts from fruits, leaves, and flowers of some plants. While these essential oils are great on the skin, they are not ideal for use alone – this is why they are used together with other products.
Ingredients to Avoid in Natural Hand Soap
Ingredients in conventional hand soaps contain chemicals that might harm your skin. These chemicals cause skin irritation, endocrine disruption, cancer, and toxicity. The chemicals to avoid include:
- Surfactants – Surfactants are the cleansing chemicals in soap. They work by surrounding dirt and water molecules to clean your skin. Surfactants are not so harmful, but if you are buying organic soap, you need to avoid some surfactants. Sodium lauryl sulfate, SLS, is one of the typical surfactants. While SLS is a product of coconut, it has toxins from the production process. SLS might also contain other synthetic substances that the body might not be able to break.
- Parabens – Parabens are effective in preventing the growth of mold and bacteria. Too many parabens in your body can cause cancer. Today, companies instead use organic preservatives.
- Artificial fragrances – These fragrances may smell nice, but they are products of petrochemicals. This way, the aromas are not safe for the environment, the user, and pets. Natural scents are possible with hand soaps, although they are expensive.
- Dye – Most dyes are chemical, and they may interfere with the natural pH of your skin, leaving you dry and cracked. Instead of synthetic dyes, organic soaps use organic colors such as cocoa powder, powdered chlorophyll, turmeric, cinnamon powder, and beetroot.
Other factors you can consider when choosing hand soap include price and the dispensing mechanism. A pump dispenser is better than other containers.
Top 10 Organic Hand Soap Products
- The olive oil and essential oils formula cleanse the hands of dirt and germs without leaving the hands dry or making them crack. Instead, the oils richly nourish the hands to leave them moisturized and looking healthy.
- Olive oil and coconut oils are naturally cleansing to purify the hands and leave them clean.
- Besides the oils, the soap is full of vitamins A and E, antioxidants, and other nutrients to naturally repair your hands and keep your skin looking healthy with every wash.
- The essential oils such as bergamot and lime, keep your hands smelling fresh. There are no artificial fragrances besides the lime and other natural aromas.
- This natural hand soap is free of phthalates, parabens, sulfates, and others that might harm your skin. It is gluten-free, cruelty-free, and vegan.
- Vegan and gluten-free
- Olive oil and essential oils formula
- It contains tea tree essential oils that have natural cleansing properties. Besides cleansing, the oil leaves the hands smelling nice without the addition of artificial fragrances.
- The natural hand soap contains glycerin and other natural ingredients that leave the hand feeling smooth, soft, and moisturized.
- It is safe on all skin types, thanks to its gentle formula, and you can use it any day without any harm to your skin.
- The formula contains no harmful chemicals such as phthalates and parabens. This way, you don't have to worry about leaving your skin dry and cracked.
- If you have cracked hands, the healing properties of aloe vera restore your smooth hands and keep you moisturized for long. The formula is cruelty-free, not tested on animals.
- Tea tree and aloe vera formula
- Has glycerin
- According to the manufacturer, more than 5 million people enjoy the benefits of the Puracy Hand Soap and Lotion. It is a dual a-formula soap that cleanses and nourishes the hands, leaving them soft, smooth, and moisturized.
- The woodsy aroma of the New England Balsam remains with you all day.
- There are no harsh chemicals in the soap, such as perfumes, petrochemicals, parabens, or other harsh chemicals. There are also no animal by-products, so the soap is cruelty-free.
- The manufacturer offers a quality guarantee – you can return the product for a full refund if you don’t like the results.
- Every ingredient is from organic fields from different parts of the world. This way, the hand soap is safe for all types of skin.
- New England balsam fir scent
- Cruelty-free and vegan
- Hand soap comes with a variety of ingredients, including peppermint, coconut oil, jojoba oil, and tea tree oil for superior handwashing. The formula feels gentle on the skin, and you can use it every day without drying out the hands.
- The essential oils have significant benefits to the skin - it softens and moisturizes the skin. They also have natural cleansing properties.
- Besides cleansing, the soap contains vitamin E and other botanical extracts that heal your skin without drying the skin.
- The natural ingredients make the soap ideal for all users, including men, women, children, and anyone with sensitive skin. It has no chemical ingredients and comes with the natural scent of mint instead of artificial fragrance.
- It does not include animal by-products in their formula, and neither do they test their products on animals.
- Peppermint, jojoba, and coconut oil formula
- The Kosmatology Goody-Goody features natural oils with deep cleansing properties. Removes dirt and grease without drying out the hands. It further sports essential oils that leave the hands smooth and moisturized for a great feel.
- Soap doesn’t contain artificial fragrances or any other hard chemicals. Instead, it contains grapefruit extract to give it a natural scent.
- Contains no antibacterial agents or triclosan that may be harmful to the hand. Granted, the soap is ideal for use by all family members, including those with sensitive hands.
- It comes with Leaping Bunny and PETA certifications as proof that it is cruelty-free and vegan. The manufacturer doesn't test its soaps on animals.
- You can use this natural soap every day without any adverse effects on your skin, thanks to the use of all-natural ingredients in the soap’s formula.
- Natural grapefruit scent
- The GreenFist Angel Foam is instant lathering and provides optimal cleansing. You only need a little water as the soap lathers fast and neither do you use a lot of soap.
- The soap uses natural surfactants that are mild on your skin. For sensitive skins, you can still use this soap without any irritation. The soap is dye and fragrance-free.
- Each bottle comes rich in emollients that moisturize the skin to ensure your skin does not crack or dry out.
- On adding a little water, the soap forms rich and creamy lather and cleanses without interfering with the balance of your skin. It is super mild to leave your skin comfortable.
- All ingredients are natural, non-toxic, sourced from the USA, biodegradable, and never tested on animals.
- Instant lathering with high foam
- Lemon scent
- Avalon Organics formulates all organic products with ingredients from plants from different parts of the world,
- This natural hand soap contains lemon and glycerin ingredients that cleanse and moisturize the hand. The lemon leaves the hands smelling nice without the use of artificial fragrances.
- The soap is certified organic with plant-based ingredients. It contains botanical extracts and essential oils that cleans and revitalizes the skin. The cleanser doesn’t crack your skin and instead leaves it smooth and soft.
- The formula contains no GMOs, harsh chemicals, preservatives, parabens, phthalates, sulfates, or any other chemical that can affect the skin.
- The formula is mild enough for all family members to use it, including those with sensitive hands and children. You can use it every day, and your hands will never dry out.
- Lemon and glycerin formula
- Certified organic
- The Regalia antimicrobial lotionized hand wash contains an all-natural formula that makes it gentle on your skin and your hands. Anyone can use the soap, including children and those with sensitive hands.
- The peachy formula leaves the hands smooth and with a peachy scent. The peach extract is refreshing, hydrating, and does not irritate the skin.
- The soap is pH balanced so as not to dry your skin and cause irritation. Again, the soap is cruelty-free, and all ingredients are botanic-based. All components are from the USA.
- The foam rinses clean with ease to leave the skin hydrated with no greasy residue.
- Each bottle comes free of chemicals such as phthalates, sulfates, and others that can harm the skin. Instead, it is lotioned to leave your skin soft, smooth, and moisturized.
- All-natural formula
- Natural peach scent
- The Maple Holistics Anti-Bacterial Hand Wash contains essential oils and antimicrobial ingredients that are powerful yet mild on your skin.
- Contains tea tree oil for a natural scent that you might love. It does not contain any artificial fragrance that may be harsh on your hands. It also contains peppermint, which has deep cleansing properties and a sweet scent.
- Hand soap kills microorganisms on your hands to leave the hands safe and prevent common illnesses. It further leaves the hands moisturized, thanks to its all-natural ingredients.
- With all-natural ingredients, the soap contains no chemicals such as parabens that might harm your skin.
- You can use the soap daily without drying out the skin or exacerbating any skin conditions you might have. The healing properties of essential oils leave the hand soft, smooth, and healthy.
- Tea tree oil formula
- The prebiotic formula moisturizes and revitalizes the skin to keep it healthy. It has a natural fresh apple scent that makes it great.
- Its formula retains the natural moisture. The formula is pH balanced to promote the growth of good bacteria and lock in the moisture in your skin.
- The natural ingredients in the hand soap have deep cleansing properties to remove dirt, bacteria, and leave the hand feeling smooth and soft.
- It is free of parabens, surfactants, phthalates, sulfates, and other chemicals that can harm your skin. This way, people with sensitive hands and children can use the soap comfortably. Again, you can use the cleanser every day without drying out your hands.
- Each bottle contains 12 ounces of certified natural hand wash soap that cleanses and moisturizes.
- Moisturizing formula
- Natural apple scent
You do not have to try all soaps above to find the best natural hand soap. You can try out the Brittanie’s Thyme Organic Hand Soap and the Botanic Hearth Tea Tree Hand Soap as they are multipurpose hand soaps. They are both certified organic hand soaps. They contain many natural ingredients that not only cleanse the hands and kill germs, but also leave the hands soft, smooth, and moisturized. These organic hand soaps do not contain any dyes or artificial fragrances and instead comes with natural scents of essential oils. This way, you get a pleasant scent without any harmful effects on your hands and skin.