Table of Contents
- Organic Makeup For Kids
- Best Organic Shampoo for Kids
- Shopping for the Best Organic Dish Soap
- Which Chemicals are Common in Toxic Dish Soaps?
- Are There Dishwashing Soaps with No Preservatives?
- Other Ingredients to Avoid in Organic Dish Soap
- Why Avoid Toxic Ingredients in Organic Dish Soap?
- What Should You Look For in the Best Natural Dishwashing Soaps?
- 10 Best Organic Dish Soaps
- #1 Mrs. Meyer’s Clean Day Liquid Dish Soap
- #2 Seventh Generation Liquid Dish Soap
- #3 ECOS Earth-Friendly Dishmate Dish Liquid
- #4 BabyGanics Foaming Dish Soap
- #5 Better Life Lemon and Mint Dish Soap
- #6 ATTITUDE Plant-Based Dish Soap
- #7 Ecover Zero Dish Soap
- #8 EcoMe Herbal Mint Dish Soap
- #9 Made Of Foaming Organic Baby Dish Soap
- #10 True Green Organics Liquid Dish Soap
Toxins and harmful chemicals can get into the body through the pores on the skin. This is why when you use dishwashing soap full of inorganic substances; you risk developing skin allergies and some types of chemical-induced cancers.
Instead of having to deal with chemicals in soap, why not get the best organic dish soap? Organic soap has safe ingredients that ensure you do not suffer from skin allergies or other conditions that affect your health. Read on to learn more.
Shopping for the Best Organic Dish Soap
For a long time, lye was the go-to dishwashing soap. Although the soap had an unpleasant smell and color, it was powerful in cutting through grease and other dirt. Soon, liquid dishwashing soaps in dispenser bottles replaced lye. But are all these new liquid soaps safe for you?
Most soaps contain toxic chemicals that can seep through the skin and cause so much damage to your hands and your overall health.
Which Chemicals are Common in Toxic Dish Soaps?
- Fragrance - Blend of substances that give your soap a sweet smell. The FDA does not require manufacturers to disclose the ingredients used for the fragrance, and thus soap brands may choose not to list the information on the label. There are close to 4,000 ingredients used to create that sweet smell in soap and other products. According to the European Union Scientific Committee in charge of Consumer Safety, these ingredients can cause allergic reactions, dermatitis, skin photosensitivity, and so much more. You can check the Environmental Working Group (EWG) Database to see the most toxic fragrances on a scale of 1 to 10.
- Colorants - Do you love the pleasant pink color in your dishwashing soap? It may look attractive, but it is a product of heavy metals, petroleum, and minerals. These substances are not safe for the environment as they find their way in water sources and the earth and cause more damage there. European Chemicals Agency also found out that these heavy metals can result in genetic disorders in children or even cause some types of cancer.
- Ethoxylated Ingredients - These are common ingredients in commercial dishwashing soaps. They may appear in different forms with names such as PEG, Polysorbate, Laureth-7, or any other name ending with –eth. To create these products, the manufacturers react ethylene oxide in a series of reactions to make it less harmful. From the reactions, 1,4-dioxane is released. According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, 1,4-dioxane penetrates the skin. Although there is less evidence that this substance causes cancer, it is safe to stay away from any carcinogen.
- Chemical Preservatives - Those long names you see on the list of ingredients are for preservatives. They include benzisothiazolinone, methylchloroisothiazolinone, and methylisothiazolinone. These harsh chemicals slowly release formaldehyde in the soap to make it last for years.
The European Chemicals Agency, ECHA, notes that benzisothiazolinone can cause skin and eye irritation, and it is more harmful to people who are prone to skin allergies. ECHA further notes that whether inhaled or swallowed, these chemicals are lethal to your health.
The preservatives are so fatal that some of them were named the contact allergen of the year 2013 by the American Contact Dermatitis Society.
Are There Dishwashing Soaps with No Preservatives?
Most of the dishwashing soaps contain preservatives. As long as soap contains water, it needs to have preservatives to prevent bacteria and mold growth and other organisms from damaging the soap. Some manufacturers claim to use natural substances, but others claim the soaps have no preservatives.
Is it possible that some organic soaps have benzisothiazolinone, methylchloroisothiazolinone, and methylisothiazolinone? Yes, some soaps will have trace amounts of these preservatives in them to keep the soap in good shape for a long time. However, in trace amounts, it means the soap will go bad faster than one with a high amount of the ingredients.
If any brand of soap doesn’t show the preservatives in it, call the manufacturer and ask. If you get a name you have never heard, check the ECHA or the EWG (Environmental Working Group) databases.
Other Ingredients to Avoid in Organic Dish Soap
You might see these other ingredients that might also harm your skin:
- Cocamide DEA
- DMDM Hydantoin
- Sodium Borate
Each of these other ingredients is harmful to your health. No matter how mild the effects might be, it is safe to avoid them altogether.
Why Avoid Toxic Ingredients in Organic Dish Soap?
The pores on the skin allow chemicals to seep through to cause further damage. Wearing gloves is an excellent way to protect your hands, but some substances do not rinse off your dishes. Ingesting them is as dangerous as having them on the skin.
Again, some substances can vaporize when they come in contact with hot water, and inhaling them is just as harmful. Worse yet, when you protect your hands with gloves, you leave the environment open to harmful substances.
What Should You Look For in the Best Natural Dishwashing Soaps?
- Certifications – USDA Certification, Leaping Bunny Logo, EWG Verification, and any other certification shows that the soap is certified safe for human use. Some soaps even come with dermatologist and pediatrician certifications for safety on the skin and baby dishes.
- Plant-Based Ingredients – Plant-based ingredients are safe for your skin and the environment. The cleaning power of plants makes the soaps effective in removing grease and also make them secure on your hands and the environment. Some of these ingredients include olive oil and coconut oil.
- Natural Scents – If you need your soap to have a sweet smell, look for one with a natural scent. They may include lime, lemon, strawberry, and so many other fruity and floral scents.
- Natural and Organic Foaming Agents – Forming agents are among the most harmful chemicals in dishwashing soaps. Ensure soap is free from these harmful ingredients and instead contains natural ingredients.
Besides the above factors, you can check how concentrated the soap is. Very concentrated soaps are better as you only need a little on your washing sponge or in your washing machine. However, the soaps might take more time and water to rinse out. A less concentrated soap pours with ease, but you might have to use a lot to get the dishes clean.
Ensure that the dispenser bottle is easy to use too.
10 Best Organic Dish Soaps
Best Dish Soap Overall
- Mrs. Meyer’s Clean Day Dish Soap sports a powerful all-natural plant formula that makes it efficient in cutting through grease to leave the utensils clean and bright. It uses the cleaning power of plants without chemical surfactants that might affect your hands.
- Since all ingredients are plant-based, the dish soap is biodegradable and safe for the environment. It does not contain sulfates, phosphates, phthalates, parabens, and any other harmful chemicals.
- The formula is non-GMO, gluten-free, cruelty-free, and safe for use on baby dishes and bottles.
- Mrs. Meyer’s Clean Day leaves a natural floral scent on dishes and your hands. The soap is also non-drying and will leave your hands moisturized and soft.
- The soap has a balanced pH that makes it safer on your hands and more effective in removing grease and tough dirt on dishes.
- Powerful formula for grease
- Natural lavender scent
- Seventh Generation formulated this liquid soap to remove grease and other residues to ensure that the dishes are sparkling clean.
- Each bottle goes through dermatologist testing to ensure safety. The formula has all mild ingredients to ensure there are no allergic reactions. People with sensitive skin can use soap without any problems.
- The formula contains no harmful ingredients. It is free from fragrances, phosphates, triclosan, and dyes. It only contains glycerin, which stabilizes the soap for better action. All components are plant extracts to make the soap safe for all users.
- Seventh Generation Liquid Dish Soap comes with EPA safety certification. It also comes with a USD bio-based product certification as a further guarantee of quality and safety. According to Seventh Generation, the soap takes care of the users for seven generations to come.
Best Organic Soap for Grease
- Plant-based ingredients
- ECOS allows you to choose from a range of all-natural scents for the soap you choose. This option has a natural grapefruit scent, but you can choose almond, apricot, free and clear, lavender, and wild pear. All these options, except the free and clear, leave your hands and your utensils with a sweet natural scent.
- The formula is ultra-concentrated, so you only use a little soap, and you are good to go. This formula is free of dyes, perfumes, and any other harmful chemicals.
- For people with sensitive skin, the soap is gentle on the user’s hands and is tough on grease and tough stains.
- All ingredients are plant-based and natural, making them safe for the user. The manufacturer ensures the ingredients are pH balanced to make the soap safe for use. Again, the soap is readily biodegradable.
- ECO further makes the packaging frustration-free by making it easier to use. No package goes through animal-testing.
Best Scented Natural Dish Soap
- Natural grapefruit scent
- Gentle formula
- BabyGanics is a dish soap for the whole family. It is pediatrician-tested to ensure it is safe for use on baby utensils. It also goes through dermatologist testing to ensure it is safe for sensitive skin and any other skin.
- All ingredients in the dish soap are plant-based to ensure they are safe to use. This makes the soap non-toxic and safe for use on the baby bottle.
- The formula is free from chemicals such as phosphates, sulfates, fragrances, dyes, and many more.
- The manufacturer doesn’t test its products on animals, making the soap cruelty-free. It is also vegan and gluten-free.
Best for Baby Utensils
- All plant-based ingredients
Best Natural Soap for Sensitive Hands
- Better Life formulated this soap to be mild with vitamin E and aloe, which moisturize your hands and keep them protected. These two ingredients also leave the hand nourished, soft, and with a good natural scent.
- All ingredients in the soap are plant extracts. The cleaning power of plants combines with the natural scent to create this soap.
- Soap is free of chemicals such as alkylphenol, petroleum, and surfactants. This ensures the soap is accessible on the user’s hands and does not result in nasty skin allergies.
- Better Life does not test its products on animals. Every bottle is cruelty-free, vegan, and gluten-free. It is also non-GMO. It contains glycerin as a stabilizer, which enhances the functionality of the soap.
- Vitamin E and Aloe formula
- Plant-based ingredients
- ATTITUDE offers its liquid dishwashing soaps in different scents. The coriander and olive scent offers a sweet natural scent that leaves the hands moisturized and with a sweet natural scent. You can choose other scents such as citrus zest, grapefruit, wildflowers, and green apple and basil.
- All ingredients in the soap are plant-based, making them safe for use. The manufacturer ensures that the soap doesn’t cause any type of cancer and is safe on your hands.
- The soap is also Ecology-certified as the ingredients are biodegradable and safe on the environment.
- This is a hypoallergenic soap option for people with sensitive skin and those prone to allergic reactions. It is free from sulfates, phthalates, parabens, and other chemicals that may harm the skin.
- ATTITUDE does not test the soap on animals. Each bottle is cruelty-free, vegan, non-GMO, and gluten-free, making it safe for all.
Best Hypoallergenic Organic Soap
- Coriander and olive scent
- Hypoallergenic formula
- Ecover focuses on making its dishwashing soaps as safe as possible for all users. The Zero dish soap sports all-natural plant-based ingredients that are safe on the user’s hands.
- It uses the natural cleansing power of plant ingredients to cut through grease and residues in your utensils.
- The formula is free from chemicals such as sulfates, phosphates, and sodium lauryl sulfate. It is also non-GMO, vegan-friendly, gluten-free, and cruelty-free. Better yet, it contains no fragrances, dyes, colors, and chlorine.
- It leaves the natural scent of plant-based ingredients on your hands with the fragrances that might affect your respiratory system.
- Concentrated formula means that you will only need to use a little soap on the sponge to clean your utensils. It also comes in an economical package of 6 bottles.
Best Fragrance-Free Organic Soap
- Plant-based formula
- EcoMe comes with Greenseal Certification to guarantee that all the ingredients are natural and safe for the user. The soap uses the cleaning power of natural plants to perform better than chemical-based soaps.
- It sports a non-drying formula with glycerin that ensures that your hands are moisturized and soft after use. The formula is eco-friendly with all-natural plant-based ingredients. These ingredients are safe on the user’s hands.
- EcoMe doesn’t use sulfates in its formula. It also does not use perfumes and artificial fragrances, dyes, colors, bleach, ammonia, and other harsh chemicals. This ensures that you can use it to wash the baby’s bottle and any other utensils at home.
- Because this product is USA-made, it comes with a Leaping Bunny logo to show that it is cruelty-free. It is also Greywater safe, gluten-free, and vegan-friendly.
- It offers powerful plant cleansing power to cut through grease but remains gentle on your hands.
Best Herbal Dish Soap
- Mint infusion
- Non-drying formula
- Made Of offers dish soap in either sweet orange scent, lavender, or unscented – you can choose whichever you want. The scented options feature a sweet natural scent.
- Each bottle comes with fragrances and perfumes. As a guarantee that the dish soap is safe, it comes with EWG Verification and NSF Organic certification. It can be used to wash the baby dish and a baby bottle.
- The formula is safe for all users, especially those with sensitive hands and eczema. However, it is powerful enough to cut through grease and other substances.
- Made Of created this soap with 81 percent organic ingredients and 19 percent natural ingredients, allowing you to clean utensils without harmful chemicals.
- The manufacturer doesn’t use harmful ingredients such as sulfates, parabens, phthalates, fragrances, artificial colors, and any artificial ingredients. It is also free from soy and nuts for those who are allergic to these products.
- The formula leaves your hand moisturized, thanks to ingredients such as sunflower seed oil, coconut oil, castor seed oil, and aloe leaf juice.
Best Dish Soap for Children
- Orange scented
- For sensitive skin
- True Green Organics Liquid Dish Soap comes with 100 percent organic ingredients with a fresh lemon or lemon-lime scent. The natural scent has zero toxins. As a plant-based formula is biodegradable and hypoallergenic, this makes it safe for the environment and for those with skin allergies.
- The formula is concentrated, so you only need a little on your washing sponge, and you are good to go. It is also safe to use in your dishwasher and your sink and handwashing soap.
- It is safe for use on baby dishes and bottles and is safe on pets and people who come into contact with it. Even if it is gentle on the user’s hands, it is tough on grease and dirt.
- The formula comes from all-natural ingredients free from sulfates, phthalates, and any other harmful chemicals. It is also gluten-free, vegan-friendly, and non-GMO.
Best Versatile Dish Soap
- 100 percent organic
- Concentrated formula
The best organic dish soap will clean as effectively as soaps with chemical surfactants, but it will cause less damage to your hands. Babies are more susceptible to the effects of chemicals, and you need to be careful when you are picking the best natural dish soap for their items.
You do not have to test all the soap above even though they are all organic. You can try Mrs. Meyer’s Clean Day Liquid Dish Soap and Seventh Generation Liquid Dish Soap to see which dish soap meets your needs, then stick to it. Check out the two soaps from the links above.